- CNM Entertainment Reporter
Smule Mirchi Music Awards South’s ode to south Indian film music fraternity
Music creates Magic! And it was the power of this magic that was unleashed at the Smule Mirchi Music Awards South as it celebrated its 11th Edition of awards!
The challenge of lack of movie releases in 2020 inspired the award committee to turn it into an opportunity to make this year a bigger and better canvas for the music fraternity by adopting the theme of ‘Best of the Decade’ which meant that the Smule Mirchi Music Awards South was an event that adjudged the best work of the last decade 2010-2020!
Every single winner across categories in the last decade became a nominee and the Jury selected the ‘Best of the Best’ for the award of the decade! Needless to say, the selection was a tough process. In keeping with protocol since inception, the entire jury process was audited by Ernst & Young, it is this transparency and trust that has built the credibility of Smule Mirchi Music Awards South in the music industry. Our powerhouse jury had veterans and the new age mavericks alike –VK Prakash, Rafeeq Ahmed, Deepak Dev, Lekha Nair, Shaan Rahman, Rahul Raj, Afzal Yusuf, Jassie Gift, Remya Nambesan and Stephan Devassey!
The award night saw the stage being set on fire by some scintillating performances like Neeraj Madhav, who rapped and danced his heart out! Regina Cassandra whose foot tapping dance has everyone wanting to join in! Nikhil Mathew, Soundarya, Rapper Fejo, all of whom treated the audience to a musical extravaganza!
The highlights of the Smule Mirchi Music Awards South – ‘Best of the Decade’ were
- Lifetime Achievement Award presented to K S Chitra by Padmabhushan Kamala Hassan
- Kamala Hassan being honoured for ’60 years of Outstanding Contribution to Indian Cinema’ by the music fraternity
- Vidyasagar completing 25 years of outstanding contribution to Malayalam Film Music and winning the Composer of the Decade Award
- A melodious tribute to the legend SP Balasubrahmanyam by Singers Mano and Anuradha Sriram
- The stars of the music world – Bijibal, Shaan Rehman, Gopi Sundar, Nivas, Suraj Santosh and many more celebrities receiving awards across categories like Song of the Decade, Album of the Decade, Singer of the Decade< Listeners choice etc
Whether it was the candlelight tribute to the legendary SPB or the poignancy of winning an award in his memory, whether it was the magic of the winners singing the song that won them the accolade or everyone dancing to Jhimmiki Kammal, whether it was the child-like glee on Chitra’s face when she received red balloons with wishes sent to her from Kochi to Chennai by her colleagues to Vidyasagar cutting a cake to mark his 25th year – they were moments of joy, celebration and the coming together of a fraternity that enriches all our lives with the gift of music!
Mirchi celebrates and salutes, the music fraternity for the immense contribution to our lives, through this exclusive music award!
Watch this musical evening and partake the magic of music on March 28th at 3pm on Asianet!