PALAKKAD DIVISION CELEBRATES 62ND RAILWAY WEEK
During his speech, Naresh Lalwani, Divisional Railway Manager announced that free wi-fi and fast internet connectivity will be extended to 10 more A-class stations of the Division, viz – Kanhangad, Kannur, Kasaragod, Mangaluru Jn, Palakkad Jn, Payyannur, Shoranur Jn, Thalassery, Tirur and Vadakara.
Palakkad Division celebrated 62nd Railway Week on 18th April 2017 at Kalamandir Auditorium, Hemambika Nagar, Palakkad. Naresh Lalwani, Divisional Railway Manager presided over the function, which started at 17.30 hours. Present on the occasion were Smt.Sobhna Lalwani, President of Southern Railway Womens Welfare Association-Palakkad Chapter,T. Rajkumar-Additional Divisional Railway Manager, Smt.Chandrika Jayasankar-Senior Divisional Personnel Officer, other Divisional Officers, Railway staff and families.
In his presidential address, Naresh Lalwani congratulated the Mechanical and Signal & Telecom departments for winning General Manager’s Overall Efficiency Shields during the year 2016-17. The DRM also announced that Palakkad Division won General Manager’s Overall Efficiency Shield for Cleanliness for the year 2016-17.
DRM then reviewed the performance of Palakkad Division during the past financial year. The Division carried 7.69 crores of passengers in 2016-17, averaging 2.1 lakhs of passengers per day. It also loaded 6.222 Million Tonnes of freight in the year 2016-17. The total earnings of the Division during the financial year 2016-17 recorded Rs.1042.64 crores as against Rs.1090.08 crores of the previous year.
Fall in goods revenue
Despite recording an increase in passenger earnings by 3.60%, the total earnings of the Division came down by 4.35%. Passenger earnings of the Division recorded Rs.650.76 crores, compared to the previous year’s earnings of Rs.628.14 crores. The Division earned Rs.311.59 crores through transportation of goods in 2016-17, which is lesser by 18.80%, when compared with the previous year’s earnings of Rs.383.75 crores. The loading came down by 4.04% as compared to Rs.6.484 Million tonnes in the year 2015-16. Dip in freight loading is attributed to lesser loading of coal and cement and low demand for fertilizer and gypsum.
During his speech, DRM announced that free wi-fi and fast internet connectivity will be extended to 10 more A-class stations of the Division, viz – Kanhangad, Kannur, Kasaragod, Mangaluru Jn, Palakkad Jn, Payyannur, Shoranur Jn, Thalassery, Tirur and Vadakara.
The year 2016-17 was a milestone for Palakkad Division. It excelled in different aspects like key infrastructure additions in electrification, modernization of signaling, improvements in traffic facility and providing better passenger amenities. Bold and far sighted Initiatives were launched to harness green energy. Modern technology like digitization were adopted in material procurement and tendering process, as a part of system improvement.
Some of the remarkable achievements of the Division in 2016-17 are –
- Shoranur-Mangaluru Section Electrification
With the commissioning of final stretch of 82 Kms. between Charvattur and Mangaluru, the 311 Km long Shoranur-Magaluru section has been fully electrified.
- Part Doubling Between Mangaluru Jn to Panambur
The 5.6 Km long section between Jokkatte and Panambur was opened in the month of January 2017, which also provides an additional new 3.5 Km long independent goods line from Jokkatte to Panambur.
- A new Railway station building at Jokatte, having 2 platforms, including an island platform, capable of accommodating 24 coach rakes, was constructed. Jokatte became 95th Railway station of Palakkad Division.
- New station building was commissioned at Nilambur Road station, during June 2016, having18 coach length new high level platform. One bay of platform shelter was also provided at Nilambur Road station through funds from MPLAD of Hon’ble MP Shri Abdul Wahab. The sole stall has been shifted to the new platform.
- Gauge Conversion(GC) between Pollachi and Podanur
The newly laid Broad gauge in the stretch of Pollachi-Kinathukadavu of Pollachi-Podanur Jn section, was been approved by the Commissioner of Railway Safety.
- The conventional signaling system was replaced with modern Electronic Interlocking System at Palakkad, Lakkiti and Ottappalam stations.
- A new platform was commissioned at Palakkad Junction, facilitating direct entry to the platform from the town side. This additional platform increases the comfort level of passengers and also improves the flexibility of train operations.
- Full rake (42 wagons) freight loading facility was constructed and commissioned along with concrete unloading platform at Palakkad Junction.
- Newly constructed goods sheds were opened at Pollachi Jn and Nilambur Road stations in August 2016.
- 4 Escalators(2 each at Mangaluru and Kannur), were inaugurated.
- Foot over bridges were commissioned at Karakkad and Tirunavaya stations.
- 18 bays of platform shelter were commissioned at Kozhikode station with the fund provided by Government of Kerala in October 2016.
- She-toilets were installed at 9 major stations in the Division in October 2016.
Green Energy Initiatives of the Division:
- In accordance with the directions issued by the Ministry of Railways, Palakkad Division installed solar power generation system in Divisional Railway Manager’s office and at Divisional Railway Hospital, Palakkad. One 10 kWp plant at Divisional Office and 2 such plants at Divisional Railway Hospital, Palakkad, were commissioned at the cost of Rs.21.6 lakhs. Two solar plants are already functioning within the Division-one at Parli Railway station(2kWp) and another one at Thalassery Railway station(3kWp).
- In a major energy saving initiative, Palakkad Division distributed 16,000 LED bulbs at subsidized rate to its staff during the financial year (2016-17).
Based on the guidelines of Ministry of Railways, Palakkad Division implemented 100% e-tendering system in works tenders. Earlier, the Division had attained 100% in e-procurement for all its material requirements. E-tendering facilitates fool-proof protection of tender data and increases transparency of the entire process.
DRM asked the staff not to work for awards but rather to satisfy their self consciousness. He stressed on the importance of enjoying one’s job.
T. Rajkumar-Additional Divisional Railway Manager welcomed the gathering. DRM presented 217 individual awards and 10 Group Awards to the Officers and staff of the Division, in recognition of their meritorious service during the past year.