Swapna,the first accused in gold smuggling case in Kerala which strikes a fresh controversy in Kerala politics as she linked to IT department which is under the direct control of Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan,is still absconding.
The Customs officials have strengthened efforts to arrest her.
The Customs officers at Thiruvananthapuram on Sunday during an operation at the International Airport seized 30 kilograms of gold worth 15 crores.
She had forged documents to get diplomatic clearance to run the gold smuggling operations,according to Customs Intelligence.
Swapna was a staff at UAE consulate,earlier. Some reports say she has been terminated from the post.
The customs sources said Swapna is on the run while Sarith Kumar, a former consulate PRO, was taken into custody and after the interrogation his arrest was recorded.
Meanwhile, reports say IT secretary Sivsankaran is removed from his position,followed by the scandal.
He lost CMs principal secretary position, also.
Sivasankaran was involved in another controversial Sprinkler deal which reveals sensitive medical information of citizens. However,later the government put on hold the decision of data sharing to this company.
The smuggling,allegedly linked to IT department raises many doubts in the minds of the public.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said these allegations didn’t affect his office.He added that he had no role in any of these issues.
Entry to CMs office is said to be a tough task even to party leaders.
Then,how did this young lady Swapna get access?
This is a big question asked by opposition parties.
Usually,CMs office is under strict surveillance and entry is restricted.
However ,IT secretary Sivasankaran has good hold in CMs places.He was also the Principal Secretary. His influence in CMs office is said to be the main reason behind Swapna’s entry.
Sivasankaran and Swapna are in good connection and they met frequently as part of their department’s meetings and informal discussions,say sources.
Swapna was employed in Space Park and Kerala State Information Technology Infrastructure Limited (KSITL), which comes under the IT department, a portfolio held by Vijayan. She was ousted after she was named as one of the accused in the gold smuggling case.
State Congress president Mullappally Ramachandran demanded a CBI enquiry into this matter.BJP president K Surendran also alleged that there was a nexus between Swapna and CM’s office.
Who is Swapna Suresh?
CNM checked her FB page but it has not been updated since last October.Her story and connection with Kerala CMs office is trending on top social media and national media.
- Swapna Suresh was born and raised in Abu Dhabi. Her father, a native of Balaramapuram in Thiruvananthapuram
- She worked in a travel agency for two years in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Swapna is said to be the kingpin of a high profile gold smuggling racket.
- In 2013 She then got a job at Air India Sats.
- In 2016, she returned to Abu Dhabi after the crime branch started investigating a forgery case—it was related to an alleged conspiracy behind a false case against an officer of the ground handling department of Air India.
- Swapna is good in Arabic and many other languages, she was part of the teams of Arab leaders who visited Kerala.
- She worked as the secretary of the consulate general in the UAE consulate. She left the job in 2019
- Swapna was employed in Space Park and Kerala State Information Technology Infrastructure Limited (KSITL)
- Customs personnel on Sunday On 5th July, 2020, seized over 30 kg of gold from Swapna Suresh that landed in “diplomatic baggage” by air cargo on the worldwide airport right here below the title of an individual who enjoys diplomatic immunity.