CNM City Reporter
In the wake of reported Shigella disease in various places in Kozhikode Corporation limit,DMO issued precautionary tips:
One death and 25 cases with similar symptoms have been reported in the Kottaparambu,Mundikkalthazham area in Kozhikode Corporation limit. Stool samples were taken and tested and found to have Shigella Zone in six cases. Water samples were collected from the area and sent for testing. A team led by the District Surveillance Officer visited the site and assessed the preventive measures. Health workers super chlorinated wells in the area and visited homes to raise awareness. ORS packets were made available at anganwadis and other places. Health workers were instructed to remain vigilant in the area. The DMO said those with diarrhea and other symptoms should inform health workers
Symptoms of Shigella:
Diarrhea, fever, abdominal pain, vomiting, fatigue, bloody stools.
Shigella bacteria are one of the main causes of diarrhea. The disease mainly affects the intestines. Therefore, blood is found along with the stool. The disease is mainly transmitted through contaminated water and contaminated food. Infected children under the age of five are at higher risk of death if the symptoms worsen. If not taken care of, the disease can spread very quickly. The disease is easily spread by direct or indirect contact with the excrement of the patient. Symptoms last for two to seven days. In some cases, the symptoms may persist. Some may have no symptoms at all. Seek medical attention immediately if fever, bloody stools, dehydration, or fatigue occur.
* Drink only boiled water
* Wash your hands with soap and water before eating and after defecation.
* Maintain personal hygiene.
* Do not defecate in open areas.
* Properly dispose of baby diapers.
* People with symptoms should not cook food.
* Avoid stale foods.
* Properly cover food items.
* Children with diarrhea should not interact with others.
* Disinfect toilets and bathrooms.
* Do not engage in unclean situations.
* Avoid direct contact with the patient.
* Use fruits and vegetables only after washing.
* People with symptoms should take ORS solution, salted porridge water and tender coconut water.
* Chlorinate drinking water sources.